What is Knowledge Base in Artificial Intelligence?
What Is an AI-Powered Knowledge Base?
Customer service agents must often search through multiple pieces and sources of relevant documentation to find a solution to a customer’s problem. Using keywords and phrases, AI-powered knowledge bases quickly hunt through the various types of information and speedily deliver answers to agents.
Knowledge bases in AI also unify all the information from different, siloed teams, making it easier for agents to retrieve. This feature both eliminates the need to transfer customers to another department to get an answer and prevents employee interruptions to respond to agent queries.
AI in Customer Experience
Blake Morgan is a customer experience futurist who believes “AI has the potential to scale personalization like never before.” Because of advances in deep learning, she says, “we’re now able to teach software to listen, act, and respond to customers in a way that wasn’t possible before.”
A knowledge base system powered by AI allows call center agents to easily search internal databases to quickly find the answers they’re looking for and eliminates the need to dig through various sources of information.
Organizations that adopt end-to-end AI call center solutions are able to leverage huge opportunities that give them a competitive edge.
- A level of responsiveness that isn’t humanly feasible. AI support systems predict a customer’s search by learning and understanding how they interact with your brand.
- Chatbots allow customers to interact with your brand and brands to create new streams of revenue using real-time, customized customer service solutions.
- Automated solutions provide the training agents need, reduce onboarding and training costs, and free-up employees from routine, repetitive support requests.
- A 24/7 solution, automated customer service is unconstrained by time zones, workweeks, or holidays.
One of the greatest areas where AI is making an impact is in self-service options. Most younger customers prefer trying to solve a problem themselves before calling an agent. FAQs, forums, and online chat and bot services powered by AI are playing an increasingly crucial role in these human-free, digital-only interactions.
Building a Knowledge Base in Artificial Intelligence
There are three components that make up a knowledge base system that uses AI:
- The actual knowledge stored in the system.
- The inference engine, or “brain” of the system that applies rules to the knowledge base to derive answers from it.
- The user interface that agents and/or customers use to find and extract relevant knowledge within the system.
While they’re designed to be user-friendly, AI knowledge base systems are still run by technology which can present some challenges:
- Despite progress in machine learning, knowledge based systems still haven’t reached a point where they can “think” like a human (i.e., common sense).
- Since decisions are made based on logical conditions and assertions, AI knowledge base systems are inflexible and often difficult to manipulate.
- Knowledge bases can only offer solutions based on the data and information stored within them. They do not interact with other sources. That brings up the question of whether they’re truly offering the “best” response.
Despite these issues, an AI-driven knowledge base is an excellent way to track your organization’s knowledge assets and align people, resources, and processes to get the answers customers need.
KMS Lighthouse is an AI-powered solution that helps agents find the right answers and improves its performance over time. You’re also able to gain real-time insights into knowledge base assets and other resources, status, and performance so you can quickly shift gears to align strategy and operations. With its potential to transform the way you do business, AI can be harnessed for the good of your support agents and, just as importantly, for the benefit of your customers.
September 24, 2019Using Knowledge Management Systems for Technical Support Read more
September 23, 2019What Does a Web-Based Knowledge Management Software Do? Read more